Legal and health problems are often intertwined.
Health justice partnerships inserts legal help in healthcare services and teams to:
- Train health workers to identify legal issues when talking to patients
- Identify legal issues and refer patients to appropriate legal services
- Directly provide legal assistance to people within the familiar healthcare setting, before legal problems escalate
This improves the overall health and wellbeing for vulnerable individuals.
Recent studies show the benefits of health justice partnerships. In Sydney a formal evaluation found that:
- prior to contact with the program, 80 per cent of clients did not know they had a legal issue; and
- after receiving legal advice, 100 per cent of clients ‘agreed’ or ‘strongly agreed’ that they felt less stressed and knew more about their legal position.
What we do
Training for health care workers Free legal clinics in the community
If you would like more information, please contact the Legal Aid Helpline on 1800 019 343.