Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Drink driving: Pleading guilty?

If you are charged with drink or drug driving you can usually represent yourself at court if you are pleading guilty. You should get legal advice first. When you go to court you can ask the duty lawyer to help you.

You should get a lawyer to represent you in court if any of these points apply to you:

  • you have been found guilty of drink driving more than once before
  • you are charged with a high range drink driving offence (blood alcohol content exceeding .15%)
  • there was a crash
  • you are charged with driving while disqualified.

This guide will help you get ready for court. Click on the questions to read more.


What happens in court?

What are the penalties?

What other penalties could I get?


For more information, contact the Legal Aid Helpline on 1800 019 343. 

The information in this guide is current at February 2019. This content is provided as an information source only and is not legal advice. It is correct at the time of publication, but laws change. If you have a legal problem you should seek advice from a lawyer.

Translate »