Home / Need Help? / Going to Court?

Going to Court?

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

See the Duty Lawyer

The duty lawyer helps with legal advice and representation when you first go to court.

  • You don’t need an appointment.
  • Get to court early so you have time to talk.
  • Find the duty lawyer at court on the day.

Criminal Duty Lawyer

Legal Aid can give you legal advice and represent you in the local court for criminal matters except drink driving.

There is a duty lawyer at the Darwin and Alice Springs Local Courts every day. Duty lawyers are also available regularly at the Katherine and Tennant Creek courts.

To find the criminal law duty lawyer look for the office or ask for help at the court. You don’t need a booking.

Family Duty Lawyer

See Flyer

NT Legal Aid also have a Family Court duty lawyer service to help people who don’t have a lawyer.

The family law duty lawyer can help talk to the other party, fill in simple forms, get an adjournment (set another court date) and can also organise legal information and advice.

To contact the Family law duty lawyer:

  • In Darwin, go to the legal aid duty lawyer office at the Federal Magistrates Court on the day you have to go to court.
  • Outside Darwin in the NT, call the duty lawyer on 08 8982 0821 from 8 30 am on the date your case is in court.

Domestic Violence Duty Lawyer

The Domestic Violence Legal Service provide a duty lawyer service for victims and people at risk or domestic and family violence.

The duty lawyer is at the Darwin Local Court every Tuesday (for private applications) and Friday (for police ordered Domestic Violence Orders).


REALS (Respondent Early Assistance Legal Service) provide a duty lawyer service for people who have a Domestic Violence Order application against them, on Tuesdays and Fridays at the Darwin Local Court.


Translate »