Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Advice about your visa if you’ve been hurt or harmed by your partner

These brochures have information about where you can get advice about your visa if you’ve been hurt or harmed by your partner.

Click here to download the Top End brochure (.pdf 155kb).
Click here to download the Central Australia brochure (.pdf 154 kb).


Your partner cannot cancel your visa.

If you have a partner (spouse, fiance, de facto, or same sex) who is an Australian citizen or permanent resident, and they have sponsored you for a partner visa, you will usually get a temporary visa for two years before you are given a permanent visa.

If your relationship ends or you want to leave your partner before you get the permanent visa, you must get legal advice as soon as possible

Your partner cannot cancel your visa.

You might still be able to get a permanent visa if your relationship has ended and:

  • there was domestic violence
  • you have children of the relationship
  • your sponsor died.


NT Legal Aid Helpline 1800 019 343

Visa help

Playfair—Visa and migration 02 9233 8899

Multicultural Council NT 08 8945 9122

Domestic violence help

Domestic Violence Legal Service 08 8999 7977

Top End Women’s Legal Service 1800 234 441

Central Australian Women’s Legal Service 1800 684 055

If you need a translator, please call the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) on 13 14 50.

If you are in immediate trouble call the police on 000.

This brochure is available in Arabic, Chinese, Assyrian, Bengali, Hindi, Indonesian, Khmer, Korean, Farsi, Spanish, Tagalog, Thai, and Vietnamese. For copies, please contact

The information in this fact sheet is current as at May 2018. This content is provided as an information source only and is not legal advice. It is correct at the time of publication, but laws change. If you have a legal problem you should seek advice from a lawyer.


Translate »

Left Menu Icon